Thank you for your passion and interest in volunteering at the Blood Bank of Delmarva (BBD)! Volunteers play a crucial role in helping BBD save lives each and every day. As a dedicated BBD volunteer your invaluable contribution will make a lifelong impact in your community. By giving your time you will help BBD recruit, educate and assist blood donors to roll up their sleeves to give life, and you will help ensure we have enough blood on the shelves to support the many hospitals we work with throughout the Delmarva area.
The need for blood is constant. Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs a blood transfusion. And a staggering 1 in 3 people will need blood in their lifetime. Chances are you, you might know someone.
Blood is used to help many people including cancer patients going through treatment, trauma and burn victims, mothers and newborn babies, patients undergoing surgery and transplants, and those living with blood diseases or other medical conditions.
ONBOARDING PROCESS AND TRAINING
- Fill out the online application
- Read and accept the volunteer handbook online as part of the application.
- Upon submitting the application, a confirmation email is immediately sent to your email. Check your junk folder if you don’t see it.
- NOTE: BBD has limited roles for those under 18 years old and short-term volunteer opportunities (20 hours or less for a service requirement per year). Please call prior to completing the online application form, 302.737.8405 ext. 819, to confirm available teen and limited hour roles.
- Meet in person or chat on the phone with the Volunteer Relations Staff to find the best fit role for you.
- Complete Orientation (available online under “MY PROFILE tab” after completing application and logging into https://app.betterimpact.com/Login/Login)
- Orientation to BBD Organization (video or downloadable print format)
- BBD Volunteering Specific Information (video or downloadable print format)
- Blood Overview (15 minute video or downloadable print format)
- Blood Borne Pathogen Video
- Hand Washing Instructions
- Proper Face Covering (Mask) Wearing Video
- Get Started! Depending on the role, you may:
- be able to sign up right away (special events, no to little pre-training)
- be able to express interest in a role for shadowing/learning
- need to observe, and have more extensive training for a particular role
Examples of some volunteer opportunities:
- Administrative Office Assisting
- Blood Center Lead Volunteer (Dagsboro)
- Donor Reminder Caller
- Canteen Refreshments in Centers and/or Mobiles
- Mobile Unit set up/tear down/registration
- Greeter at the Centers
- Mascot and Mascot Assistance
If you are interested in volunteering, please apply here. Let us know what skills you have to share!